Abhijeet Sawant is an Indian singer, songwriter, music composer, host, and actor. He is known for winning the first season of the reality TV singing show ‘Indian Idol’ (2004).
Abhijeet Sawant was born on Wednesday, 7 October 1981 (age 41 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Libra.
Abhijeet Sawant’s childhood picture
From October 1982 to October 1999, he did his schooling at Raja Shivaji Vidyalaya, Dadar, Mumbai (Marathi medium). He then did his class 11 and 12 in commerce at Chetana’s H.S. College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Abhijeet Sawant belongs to a Maharashtrian Dalit family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Shridhar Pandurang Sawant, worked as a teacher. His mother’s name is Manisha Sawant. He has a sister named Saloni Raut.
Abhijeet Sawant with his mother
Abhijeet Sawant with his sister
Wife & Children
On 4 December 2007, he got married to his long-time girlfriend Shilpa Edvankar who used to work at Jet Airways. He has two daughters named Sameera Sawant and Aahaana Sawant.
Abhijeet Sawant with his wife and daughters
Abhijeet Sawant has converted to Buddhism.
In 2004, he participated in the reality TV show ‘Indian Idol’ which aired on Sony TV. He was declared the winner of the show.
Abhijeet Sawant holding Indian Idol’s winning trophy
In 2008, he finished as the first runner-up in the Star Plus reality singing show ‘Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star.’
Abhijeet Sawant in Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star
In the same year, he participated in the Sony TV reality singing show Asian Idol and finished as second runner-up. In 2008, Abhijeet, along with his wife, participated in the celebrity couple dance reality show ‘Nach Baliye.’
Abhijeet Sawant as a contestant in Nach Baliye
In 2005, he released his debut Hindi music album ‘Aapkaa…Abhijeet Sawant’ under the music label Sony BMG Music India.
Aapkaa… Abhijeet Sawant
Some of his other Hindi music albums are ‘Junoon’ (2007; Sony BMG Music India), ‘Farida’ (2013; Universal Music India), and ‘Fakira’ (2018; Universal Music India).
Abhijeet Sawant’s Fakira
In 2005, he made his debut as a playback singer with the song “Mar Jaavan Mit Jaavan” from the Hindi film ‘Aashiq Banaya Aapne’ (2005). He has lent his voice to many Hindi songs like “Yaad Teri Yaad” from Jawani Diwani – A Youthful Joyride (2006), “Happy Ending” from Tees Maar Khan (2010), “Bechain Sapne” from Chittagong (2012), and “Ishqa” from Dishoom (2016). Abhijeet has sung various Marathi songs such as “Beating Beating” from Ishq Wala Love (2014), and “Ye Na” from Baji (2015).
He has also lent his voice to a few other Hindi songs like “Hume Tumse Pyaar Kitna” (2017), “Rangreza” (2017), “Baby” (2021), and “Tum Ho Nazmm Hamaarii” (2023).
In 2009, he made his Bollywood acting debut with the film ‘Lottery’ in which he played the role of Rohit Awasthi.
Lottery film poster
He made a cameo appearance in the 2010 Hindi film ‘Tees Maar Khan.’ He has also made special appearances in Sony TV shows ‘Kaisa Ye Pyar Hai’ (2006) and ‘CID’ (2005).
Abhijeet, along with the Indian actor Hussain Kuwajerwala, hosted Sony TV’s reality show ‘Indian Idol 5’ (2010).
Abhijeet Sawant as a host in Indian Idol season 5
He has also appeared in Sony TV’s comedy shows like ‘Comedy Circus’ (2011) and ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ (2015).
Abhijeet Sawant in Comedy Circus
In 2018, he worked as a mentor in the And TV show ‘Love Me India.’
Abhijeet Sawant in Love Me India
He has performed live at various stage shows and live concerts in India and abroad.
Abhijeet Sawant performing at an event
Drunken Driving Case
In 2010, he was beaten by a crowd after his friend Prajakta Shukre rammed her car into a scooter in which two brothers named Tohil Khan and Taufiq Khan were injured. Reportedly, Abhijeet and the singer Prajakta were racing their cars with each other when Prajakta lost control and rammed into the scooter. Later, while talking to the reporters, the local police said,
Locals who had witnessed the entire accident immediately gathered at the spot and assaulted Sawant, who was trying to appease the crowd. We rushed to the spot. After pacifying the crowd, we brought Shukre and Sawant to the police station. A case was registered against Shukre, who was later released on bail.”
Later, when one of the eyewitnesses was asked about the accident, he said,
The three cars, including that of Shukre, were racing. Shukre was driving at 110kmph. After ramming into the two-wheeler, it hit a tree. We lost our temper only when Sawant came to intervene and said that he had a lot of contacts and would pay for treatment. It was not about the money, but the way he spoke was rude, for which the locals got agitated.”
However, Abhijeet and Prajakta were later released on bail.
- Cartoon Characters: Tom & Jerry, Popeye
- In childhood, he used to live in one room house with a joint family of seven to eight members.
- He was least interested in studying and used to get poor grades in school and college. In an interview, he shared that he used to hate studies and had anxiety issues while giving school examinations.
- While he was studying in class 6, he participated in a singing competition for the first time in the school’s singing competition. His performance received appreciation from the teachers.
- After completing class 10, he started working at a cassette shop and used to earn Rs 600 for it.
- His uncle was a stage performer. In his teens, he used to accompany his uncle to his stage shows and from there Abhijeet decided that he would also make his career in the entertainment industry. He then started practising music under his uncle.
Abhijeet Sawant during his teens
- His parents were not happy with his decision to make a career in singing. Later, Abhijeet shifted to his uncle’s home to pursue his career in singing. He then started learning Indian classical music under his guru Bhavdeep Jaipurwale.
Abhijeet Sawant practising music with his guru
- He once thought of committing suicide as he was not good at his studies, and he was not even getting good projects in singing.
- In July 2009, he joined the Indian political party Shiv Sena. In an interview, on joining the party, he said,
I am a born Maharashtrian so it is natural that I join the Shiv Sena. I can relate to them very comfortably and the Shiv Sena offers me the right platform to do something for the youth.”
- On 28 January 2018, he started his YouTube channel Abhijeet Sawant Official on which he uploads his singing videos from albums and concerts. As of February 2023, he has around 189k subscribers on his channel.
Abhijeet Sawant’s YouTube channel
- He is often spotted consuming alcohol at parties and events. On his Instagram account, he has shared a photo in which he can be seen smoking hukka.
Abhijeet Sawant smoking hukka
Abhijeet Sawant’s Instagram post about food
- Abhijeet Sawant owns a Royal Enfield motorcycle.
Abhijeet Sawant sitting on his Royal Enfield motorcycle
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
Abhijeet Sawant’s Instagram post about food
- On winning the first season of the reality TV show ‘Indian Idol,’ he won Honda City car. Later, he bought a Škoda car.
- He was once featured in the TV commercial for Spraymintt Mouth Freshener.
- Abhijeet Sawant has won many awards for his singing.
Abhijeet Sawant with his award