Aditya Kumar is an Indian actor who predominantly works in the Bollywood film industry. He is popularly known for his appearance as ‘Perpendicular’ in the Hindi crime film ‘Gangs of Wasseypur 2’ (2012), which took him to the height of fame.
Aditya Kumar was born on Monday, 7 December 1992 (age 30 years; as of 2022) in Bihar Sharif of Nalanda district of Bihar, India. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. Aditya attended De Nobili School, FRI in Dhanbad, Jharkhand.
Aditya Kumar’s childhood picture
Aditya studied 10th standard at DAV Public School in Kumhrar, Patna, Bihar after which he expressed his wish to his father to join an acting school to build a career in acting. Later, he joined the Indian theatre director, actor, and teacher Barry John‘s performing art school ‘The Free Birds Collective’ to set the foundations for his acting career.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Aditya Kumar’s father, Jayant Kumar, owns a motor workshop in Bihar.
Aditya Kumar with his parents
Aditya Kumar is unmarried.
Aditya Kumar made his debut in Bollywood with the film ‘Gangs of Wasseypur 2,’ starring Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Manoj Bajpayee, Richa Chadda, Huma Qureshi, and Pankaj Tripathi along with others. He played the role of Perpendicular in the film.
Aditya Kumar as Perpendicular in a still from the film ‘Gangs of Wasseypur 2’ (2012)
Aditya’s skill of rolling a blade in his mouth in the film as Perpendicular captured viewers’ attention.
In 2016, he appeared as Kadambari in the film ‘Kerry on Kutton.’
Aditya Kumar as Kadambari in the film ‘Kerry on Kutton’ (2016)
Kumar appeared in many other films including ‘Banjo’ (2016), ‘Dhadak’ (2018), ‘Choked’ (2020), and ‘Harami’ (2020).
Aditya Kumar worked in some Hindi short films such as ‘Sujata’ (2011) and ‘Agony of a Purple Clot’ (2013).
Aditya Kumar in a still from the short film ‘Agony of a Purple Clot’ (2013)
Aditya Kumar made his digital debut with ALTBalaji’s Indian historical drama web series ‘Bose: Dead/Alive’ in 2017. He appeared as ‘Nakli Bose’ in the series. In 2018, he appeared as Rajan (Tantrik) in the web series ‘Cheers – Friends. Reunion. Goa.’
Aditya Kumar as Rajan (Tantrik) in a still from the web series ‘Cheers – Friends. Reunion. Goa’ (2018)
- Aditya Kumar is an animal lover. He often shares his pictures with cats and dogs on social media.
- He has a pet dog named ‘Cheeni.’
Aditya Kumar’s Instagram story about his pet Cheeni
- He is a fitness enthusiast and practices yoga.
Aditya Kumar’s Instagram post about practising yoga
- Aditya loves capturing pictures of landscapes, animals, and birds, which he often posts on his social media handle.
- Aditya Kumar, in an interview, revealed that it took him nearly a decade to break out the teenager typecast after appearing as a teenager, Perpendicular, in the film ‘Gangs of Wasseypur 2’ (2012). He added that even after being a thirty-year-old man, he received offers for similar roles from many filmmakers. Aditya said,
I take it as a blessing and privilege that Anurag (Kashyap) sir gave me that iconic role. My debut film set the bar a bit high. I am yet to get a role that can match its standard. I was nearing 19 when I did GOW2 and now I will be turning 30 in December but people still see me as the same teenager! When makers come to me with similar roles I feel come-on, please…bacche nahi hun main ab!”
- In an interview, Aditya revealed that he wanted to work under Karan Johar‘s production house ‘Dharma Productions,’ which came true when the Indian filmmaker Shashank Khaitan offered him the role of Devi Lal in the film ‘Dhadak’ (2018). While talking about his dream of working under Karan Johan’s banner in the interview, Kumar said,
I have grown up watching Karan Johar’s films and it was always a dream to work under his banner. And that dream came true after Shashank offered me the role of Devilal Singh in Dhadak. A big thank you to Shashank with whom I learned new dimensions both as an actor and as a human being.”