Ashoke Pandit is an Indian film & TV director, producer, and social activist. In 2022, he filed a complaint against the Indian actress Richa Chadda for her sarcastic comment on the Indian Army. As of 2022, he is the president of the Indian Film & Television Directors’ Association.
Ashoke Pandit was born on Wednesday, 11 May 1966 (age 56 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
Ashoke Pandit’s childhood picture with his father
During his college days, he used to participate in various theatre plays as an actor and director. Later, he joined the Indian People’s Theatre Association, Mumbai.
Ashoke Pandit in a theatre play
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Niranjan Nath Pandit, and his mother’s name is Nirmala Pandit.
Ashoke Pandit’s father
Ashoke Pandit with his mother and wife
Wife & Children
On 25 June 1988, he got married to the Indian singer Neerja Pandit. His son, Raj Pandit, is a singer. His daughter, Shaarika Pandit, is a casting director.
Ashoke Pandit with his mother, wife, and sons
Ashoke Pandit and his mother, wife, and children
He follows Hinduism.
He belongs to the Kashmiri Pandit family.
Ashoke Pandit’s signature
Ashoke started his career as a director. He directed many Hindi documentaries like Kashmiri Pandit Refugees, Sharnarthi Apne Desh Mein, And The World Remained Silent, and A Village of Widows. One of his documentaries ‘And The World Remained Silent’ was screened at the International Film Festival in Goa, Pune International Film Festival, and Mumbai Academy of Moving Images (MAMI) in Mumbai, and the documentary received a standing ovation at the House of Commons in London.
In the 1980s, he worked as an associate director in Zee TV’s Hindi show ‘Filmi Chakkar.’ He then worked as a director in many Hindi TV shows like ‘Hanste Khelte’ (1997), ‘Colgate Top 10’ (1998), and ‘Tere Mere Sapne’ (2009).
In 2004, he made his debut as a director in Bollywood with ‘Sheen.’
Sheen film poster
In 2018, Ashoke was appointed as the president of the Indian Film & Television Directors’ Association, Mumbai. He worked as a co-producer in the Hindi film ‘The Accidental Prime Minister.’ He has also worked as a motivational speaker at events like the Indian Association of New Zealand (2018) and India For Kashmir Conclave, Pune (2019).
Ashoke Pandit as a guest speaker at an event
Ashoke is a social activist too. He has been associated with various philanthropic activities for a very long time.
Ashoke Pandit in an animal welfare march
- 1999: Radio and TV Advertising Practitioners’ Association of India award for Sharnarthi Apne Desh Mein
- 2010: Indian Television Academy Award for Best Documentary for A Village of Widows
Ashoke Pandit receiving Indian Telly Award
- Ashoke follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- He is a follower of the Indian spiritual guru Pitaji Shoonya Ji.
- He is often invited to the guest panel in various news debate shows.
- He is a religious person and a devotee of Lord Ganesha.
Ashoke Pandit at a temple
- During an interview, he shared that most of his documentaries are based on the struggles of Kashmiri Pandits as he was also a Kashmiri Pandit so he knew the struggles of Kashmiri Pandits. He said,
My family was among the displaced and I worked in the refugee camps and saw the pain and anger from close quarters.”
- In November 2022, the Indian actress Richa Chadda reacted to Northern Army Command Lieutenant General Upendra Dwivedi’s statement on Twitter and wrote ‘Galwan says Hi,’ which put her at the centre of controversy. Although she later deleted her tweet and shared an apology note on social media. Ashoke Pandit filed a complaint against her at a police station for passing such a comment.
Ashoke Pandit’s complaint against Richa Chadha