Rajesh Jais is an Indian actor, who has appeared in various Hindi films and TV serials. He is known for playing the role of Nanu in the Hindi TV serial ‘Shanti’ (1994).
Rajesh Jais was born on Saturday, 6 September 1969 (age 53 years; as of 2022) in Ranchi, Jharkhand. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He did his schooling at a government school in Kantatoli in Ranchi, Jharkhand. He then attended Shraddhanand Seva Ashram and Gauri Dutt Mandelia High School in Ranchi, Jharkhand. He pursued his graduation at Marwari College, Ranchi. He was NCC Airforce Cadet and Scout in his college.
Rajesh Jais wearing NCC uniform
In 1988, he pursued a postgraduate course in English Journalism at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC, JNU, New Delhi). From 1998 to 1991, he did a post-graduate diploma course in acting at the National School of Drama, New Delhi. In 1992, he cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) of the University Grants Commission (UGC) for a fellowship in PhD and lectureship. He has also qualified for Asstt. Commandant in Coast Guard and Lieutenant in Territorial Army.
Height: 5′ 8″ (171 cm)
Weight: 69 kg
Eye Colour: Grey Green
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
After the partition of India, his family moved from Kandahar, Afghanistan to Ratu Rd., Sukhdeo Nagar in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
Parents & Siblings
His father served in the Indian Airforce. His parents were associated with the theatre group Minoo Mumtaz.
Wife & Children
He is married to Amrit Jais. The couple has two sons named Ahaan Jais and Vyaan Jais.
Rajesh Jais’ wedding picture
After completing his graduation, he started performing in theatre plays under the mentorship of his college professor Ajay Malkani. He has worked as a theatre artist in various theatre plays like Mughal E Azam, Summer Folk, Yahudi Ki Ladki, Hiroshima My Love, and Different Stories.
Rajesh Jais in a theatre play
In 1995, he made his Bollywood debut with the film ‘Oh Darling Yeh Hai India’ in which he played the role of Eunuch.
Oh Darling Yeh Hai India
He has appeared in a few other Hindi films like ‘Gandhi The Mahatma’ (2010), ‘Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety’ (2018), ‘Kalank’ (2019), ‘Indoo Ki Jawani’ (2020), and ‘Tu Jhoothi Main Makkaar’ (2023).
Rajesh Jais on the sets of Gandhi The Mahatma
Rajesh has acted in a few Nagpuri films including ‘Dhumkkudiya’ (2019).
Rajesh made his acting debut with the Hindi TV series ‘Main Vi Detective.’ Some of his popular TV serials are ‘Shanti’ (1994; DD National), ‘Kya Mast Hai Life’ (2009; Disney Channel), ‘Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon’ (2011; Star Plus), ‘Shastri Sisters’ (2014; Colors), and ‘Crime Patrol’ (2015; Sony).
A still from the TV serial Shastri Sisters
He has acted in a few Hindi short films like ‘The Last Supper’ (2020), ‘Kuchch Sapne Udhaar Ke’ (2021), and ‘Unresolved’ (2021).
A still of Rajesh Jais from Unresolved
Rajesh Jais has acted in a few Hindi web series like ‘Panchayat’ (2020; Amazon Prime Video), ‘Paatal Lok’ (2020; Amazon Prime Video), ‘Scam 1992’ (2020; SonyLIV), ‘Jehanabad – Of Love & War’ (2023; SonyLIV), and ‘SK Sir Ki Class’ (2023; TVF).
SK Sir Ki Class
From 1987 to 1988, he worked as an announcer at All India Radio’s Yuvwani programme. He was once a journalist for the Indian newspaper Ranchi Express. He has also worked as a freelance journalist in Hindi and English newspapers. Rajesh has appeared in the TV commercials of various brands like Saffola, Dollar, Whirlpool, and Pepsodent Toothbrush.
- 2016: Bollywood on AIR Awards & Rewards
Rajesh Jais with his Bollywood on AIR award
- 2017: Best Supporting Actor at Hissar Film Festival for the film Brina
- 2018: Best Supporting Actor at Rajasthan International Film Festival for the film Kareem Mohammed
- 2018: Best Supporting Actor award fat JIFFA for the film Ajab Singh ki Ghazab Kahani
Rajesh Jais receiving JIFFA
- 2019: Best Actor at Rajasthan International Film Festival for the film The Last Supper & Gandhi The Mahatma
- 2020: Best Acting Ensemble at the Hollywood Blood Horror Festival for the film Dhumkkudiya
- While he was in school and college, he did his training in no. 02 Bihar Air Squadron NCC, Ranchi as an Airforce Attachment Course. He did a few other courses like Vayu Sainik course, Gliding, Aero-Modelling, Gun’s shootings, 22 Rifle, 303 Rifle, Light Machine Gun (LMG), 12 Bore Double Barrel Gun, .38 Revolver, Camping and various other Activities.
- In 1981, he commanded the contingent for ‘Guard of Honour’ to the then Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi at BIT, Mesra, Ranchi. In the same year, he received President’s Scout from then President of India Morarji Desai.
- He is trained in Indian classical music under his guru Vinod Pathak.
- Before making his career as an actor, he used to maintain accounts at a tailor’s shop and used to take tuition classes simultaneously.
- In the 1994 Hindi TV serial ‘Shanti,’ he was initially offered a role of a peon. In an interview, while talking about his role in Shanti, he said,
On the very first day of Shanti’s shoot, when I went on the sets, I was dressed as a peon. An assistant came and asked me to have a shot while giving me a glass of water. I went to the director Adi Pocha and said that I will not play the role of a peon. I will do this role in the beginning, then I will always be typecast in the same role. They say that you do five episodes, then your role will be something else. Then I became Nanu Jasoos.”
- In 2018, he received an Honorary Doctorate from the National Virtual University for Peace and Education.
Rajesh Jais with his honorary doctorate degree
- He has been a member of Jharkhand Film Development Corporation Limited for a very long time.
- In an interview, while talking about being spiritual, he said that he practised spirituality for his enlightenment and soulful living.
- One of his favourite quotes is simple living, high thinking.
- He was once featured on the cover of Aesthetics International magazine.
Rajesh Jais featured on the cover of a magazine
- Rajesh has appeared as a guest speaker on the talk show Josh Talks.
Rajesh Jais in Josh Talks