Sushma Verma is an Indian cricketer who plays as a wicket-keeper batsman for India women’s national cricket team. A right-hand batswoman, Sushma played for India in the finals of the 2017 Women’s Cricket World Cup.
Sushma Verma Devi was born on Tuesday, 3 November 1992 (age 30 years; as of 2022) in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. Although her father wanted Sushma to receive her education nearby her home, Sushma did her schooling at Portmore Government Model School in Shimla, which was far off. She grew up playing multiple sports like volleyball, handball, badminton, and cricket. In an interview, while sharing an interesting anecdote about her school days, Sushma said,
In my school days, we used to get refreshments at 6 PM after playing games. But my PT teacher and volleyball coach knew that I won’t come and would be playing cricket. We didn’t have cricket bats or balls, rather I used badminton rackets and asked the other person to shoot in the shuttle. I only wanted to swing and that used to give me happiness.”
Later, seeing her interest in the game, her parents enrolled her in a cricket academy, to polish her skills. Sushma attended the first batch of the Indian residential academy at Himachal in 2009.
Sushma Verma during a practise session
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Sushma Verma grew up in a family of teachers. Her grandfather was a teacher. Her father is also a retired teacher.
Parents & Siblings
Sushma Verma’s father, Bhopal Singh Verma, is a retired teacher. She has an elder sister named Pallavi Bakhshi and a younger brother named Bhakti Verma.
Sushma Verma with her mother and brother
Sushma Verma with her sister
Sushma Verma represents Himachal Pradesh Women, Railways Women’s cricket team, India Women Green, and India Women Blue at the domestic level. In 2011, she captained the Himachal Pradesh Women U-19 team that played in the finals of the Under-19 All-India Women’s Tournament. Due to a lack of opportunities while playing for Himachal Pradesh, Sushma Verma soon began playing cricket for the Railways Women’s cricket team. Soon, she was selected to play zonal cricket from the north zone. In 2022, during the Senior Women’s T20 Trophy, Sushma was the third-highest run-scorer, amassing 237 runs in seven innings with an average of 79 and a strike rate of 105.80.
Sushma Verma made her international T20 debut on 5 April 2013 against Bangladesh Women in Vadodara, Gujarat, becoming the first cricketer (male or female) from Himachal Pradesh to represent India in international cricket. In 2019, after Verma became the second-highest run-scorer in the senior T20 competition at domestic level, she was included in the Indian squad for the West Indies tour.
Sushma Verma in action for the Indian Women’s Cricket Team
On 16 November 2014, she made her international test debut for India Women, playing against South Africa Women in Mysore.
Sushma Verma during her debut Test match
One Day International
Sushma Verma made her One Day International debut on 24 November 2014 against South Africa Women in Bengaluru. In 2017, she was a part of the Indian women’s team to reach the final of the 2017 Women’s Cricket World Cup, where it lost to England by nine runs. During the tournament, Verma picked up 15 wickets.
Sushma Verma in a cricket match against England
She also plays for India B Women, India D Women, and India Board President’s Women XI.
Women’s T20 Challenge
In 2019, Sushma Verma played for IPL Velocity during the Women’s T20 Challenge.
Sushma Verma playing a match for IPL Velocity in the Women’s T20 Challenge
Women’s Premier League
On 13 February 2023, Sushma Verma was signed by Gujarat Giants for Rs 60 lakhs during the inaugural Women’s Premier League auctions in Mumbai. Her base price was Rs. 30 lakhs.
- Sushma Verma loves cycling and playing golf in her leisure time.
- Her family and friends fondly call her Sush and Sushiee.
- In the same year, a pavilion was named after her at the Gumma Stadium in Shimla by the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association.
- Sushma is very particular about her fitness and follows a strict workout regimen.
Sushma Verma during her workout session
- She has endorsed several brands on her Instagram account like Garnier and Fast&Up.
Sushma Verma endorsing Fast&Up on Instagram
- Pawan Sen is her cricket coach.
Sushma Verma with her coach Pawan Sen
- While growing up, Sushma considered Adam Gilchrist her inspiration.
- An animal lover, Sushma has a pet dog named Coco.
Sushma Verma with her pet dog
- Sushma Verma has several tattoos inked on both her hands and figures. She has a rose inked on the back of her right hand. She also has a tattoo on her left forearm.
Sushma Verma’s tattoos
- Sushma follows a non-vegetarian diet.
Sushma Verma’s Instagram highlight
- Although Sushma loved playing cricket since childhood, she didn’t know anything about the game until she started playing the game professionally. In an interview, while talking about the same, Bhavna said,
I didn’t know anything about cricket. I didn’t know the name of anyone, I didn’t even know about the existence of an Indian team. I had no knowledge until I started playing the game professionally.”
- In an interview, Sushma revealed that she once had a ghostly experience in a team hotel during the 2017 Women’s World Cup. She said that after the match, she got back into her room, went straight to bed and slept. While she was in her sleep, she felt as if someone was pulling her. When she tried to turn around and get up, she felt as if someone was holding her. Once, she got up from her sleep, Sushma called her teammate Harman to describe the entire incident. However, she found Verma’s story funny. When the team management came to know about the incident, they started poking fun at Sushma.
- In an interview, Sushma revealed that she developed an interest in cricket because of her grandfather. She said that while she was in class 3 or 4, she used to listen to the radio commentary of cricket with her grandfather. telling that although her grandfather never played the game, he would know the minute details about cricket and would often share it with Sushma. She further revealed that her grandfather was so much into cricket that he even knew the jersey numbers of many cricket players.