Tovino Thomas is an Indian actor and filmmaker who primarily works in Malayalam films.
Tovino Thomas was born on Saturday, 21 January 1989 (age 34 years; as of 2023) in Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
A childhood picture of Tovino Thomas with his mother
He obtained his primary education at Don Bosco Higher Secondary School and senior secondary education at St. Mary’s Higher Secondary School in Irinjalakuda, Kerala. Later, Tovino Thomas went to the Tamil Nadu College of Engineering to pursue a B.Tech degree in Electronics & Communication (ECE).
Tovino Thomas during his school days
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 41 Inches, Waist: 33 Inches, Biceps: 14 Inches
Tovino Thomas belongs to a Syro-Malabar Catholic Nasrani family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Ellikkal Thomas, is an advocate. His mother’s name is Sheela Thomas. His brother’s name is Tingston Thomas, and his sister’s name is Dhanya Thomas.
Tovino Thomas with his father
Tovino Thomas with his mother
Tovino Thomas with his brother
Tovino Thomas’s sister, brother, father, and mother
Tovino Thomas with his family
Wife & Children
On 25 October 2014, Tovino Thomas got married to his longtime girlfriend, Lidiya. The marriage took place at St. Thomas Cathedral, Irinjalakuda. The couple has a daughter named Izza, and a son named Tahaan.
Tovino Thomas with his wife and children
Tovino Thomas had been dating Lidiya since their school days. They got married in 2014 after nine years of their relationship.
After completing his formal education, he worked as a software engineer at Cognizant Technologies and was active in sports, fitness, and modelling.
In 2011, he appeared in the short film Grisaille.
In 2012, Tovino Thomas made his acting debut with the Malayalam film “Prabhuvinte Makkal,” which was directed by Sajeev Anthikkad. He then worked as an assistant director in Roopesh Peethambaran’s film ‘Theevram.’
Tovino Thomas in a still from the film ‘Prabhuvinte Makkal’ (2012)
In 2013, Tovino Thomas played a negative role in the film ‘ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi.’ In 2014, he played the lead role in the film ‘Koothara’ alongside actor Mohanlal. In the same year, he appeared in the film ‘7th Day.’ In the following year, he played a major role in Roopesh Peethambaran’s second directorial film ‘You Too Brutus.’
Tovino Thomas (right) in a still from the film ‘You Too Brutus’ (2015)
Tovino Thomas then appeared in the film ‘Charlie’ in 2015. In the same year, he portrayed Perumparambil Appu in the film ‘Ennu Ninte Moideen’ and gained critical acclaim for his performance in the film and won his first Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for this role.
Tovino Thomas in a still from the film ‘Ennu Ninte Moideen’ (2015)
In 2016, Tovino Thomas played the role of Engineer Thejus Varky in the Malayalam film ‘Guppy’ and won the New Sensational Hero Award at the NAFA 2017 for his performance in the film. In 2017, he appeared in the films ‘Oru Mexican Aparatha,’ ‘Godha,’ and ‘Mayanadi.’ The film ‘Mayanadi’ received acclaim for its fine portrayal of sexuality and earned a place in The Hindu’s list of the top 25 Malayalam films of the decade. The same year, he played a major supporting role in the film ‘Ezra.’
Tovino Thomas on the poster of the film ‘Guppy’ (2016)
In 2018, he appeared in three Malayalam films ‘Theevandi,’ ‘Ente Ummante Peru,’ and ‘Oru Kuprasidha Payyan.’ He then played major roles in the films ‘Lucifer,’ ‘Uyare,’ and ‘Virus’ in 2019. Reportedly, ‘Uyare’ became the first Malayalam film to be released in South Korea. He also appeared in the films ‘And the Oscar Goes To…,’ ‘Luca,’ ‘Kalki,’ and ‘Edakkad Battalion 06’ during the same year.
Tovino Thomas on the poster of the film ‘Uyare’ (2019)
In 2020, Tovino played the lead role in the crime thriller ‘Forensic’ with Mamta Mohandas. The film received a great response from the audience and was a major box-office success.
Tovino Thomas on the poster of the film ‘Forensic’ (2020)
In 2021, he appeared in the Malayalam film ‘Kala,’ which was his second venture as a producer. The film received critical acclaim for its narrative. In the same year, his film ‘Kaanekkaane’ also received a positive response and critical acclaim for its narrative and cast performances. Tovino Thomas then played a titular character in the film ‘Minnal Murali,’ which became the first Malayalam superhero action film to be released on Netflix. He earned immense praise for his work in the movie. The film was considered a ‘streaming success’ as it surpassed the records of most viewed Malayalam films on OTT previously held by ‘Drishyam 2.’
Tovino Thomas on the poster of the film ‘Minnal Murali’
In 2022, Tovino Thomas appeared in the films ‘Naaradan,’ ‘Dear Friend,’ ‘Vaashi,’ and ‘Thallumaala.’ In 2023, he appeared in the film ‘Neelavelicham’ in which he portrayed Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. Soon after its release, the film became the highest-grossing Malayalam film ever and collected over 200 crores. In the same year, he appeared in the film ‘2018.’
Tovino Thomas on the poster of the film ‘2018’
Tovino Thomas made his Tamil debut with the 2018 film ‘Maari 2’ with actor Dhanush.
Tovino Thomas in a still from the Tamil film ‘Maari 2’ (2018)
In 2020, Tovino Thomas, along with Ramshi Ahamed, Anto Joseph, and Sinu Sidharth, produced the film ‘Kilometers and Kilometers.’ The film was directed by Jeo Baby. He launched his own production house named ‘Tovino Thomas Productions’ on 21 January 2021. In 2022, he produced the Malayalam film ‘Vazhakku.’
Tovino Thomas on the poster of the film ‘Vazhakku’ (2022)
In 2022, Tovino Thomas lent his voice to the song ‘Tupathu’ in the Malayalam film ‘Thallumaala.’
- Best Supporting Actor award at the Asiavision Awards for his film Ennu Ninte Moideen.
- Best Character Actor award at the CPC Cine Awards and Best Supporting Actor – Malayalam at the Filmfare Awards South.
- Outstanding Performance of the Year award at the Asiavision Awards for the film Guppy.
- Youth Icon award at the Asianet Comedy Awards for his films Godha and Oru Mexican Aparatha.
- Man of the Year (Malayalam) award at the Asiavision Awards for his performance in the films Godha and Oru Mexican Aparatha.
- Performer of the Year award at the Asianet Film Awards.
- Critics Award for Best Actor – Malayalam at Filmfare Awards South for his film Mayanadi.
- Star of the Year award at the Flowers Indian Film Awards, the Second Best Actor award at the Kerala Film Critics Association Awards, and the Most Romantic Hero award at the Vanitha Film Awards for the film Mayanadi.
- Performer of the Year award at the Asianet Film Awards.
- Best Actor – Malayalam award at the Asiavision Awards for the films Mayanadi, Maradona, Theevandi, and Oru Kuprasidha Payyan.
- Best Actor award at the Mazhavil Entertainment Awards for various movies.
- Best Actor – Malayalam award at the South Indian International Movie Awards.
- Best Actor – Malayalam award at the South Indian International Movie Awards for the film Minnal Murali.
- Best Asian Actor award at the Septimius Awards for the film 2018.
Tovino Thomas showing his Septimius Award (2023)
- Tovino Thomas owns a BMW G 310 GS.
Tovino Thomas with his BMW G 310 GS
- He owns a Yezdi.
Tovino Thomas with his Yezdi
- Tovino Thomas owns a Honda City.
Tovino Thomas with his Honda City
- He owns an Audi Q7.
Tovino Thomas with his Audi Q7
- Tovino Thomas owns a BMW 7-Series.
Tovino Thomas with his BMW 7-Series
- He owns a Mini Cooper Sidewalk Edition.
Tovino Thomas with his Mini Cooper Sidewalk Edition
- Film(s): Mumbai Meri Jaan (2008), Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011), Life of Pi (2012)
- TV Show(s): Mr Bean (1990-1995), The Big Bang Theory (2007 to 2019)
- During his high school years at Don Bosco High School, Irinjalakuda, Tovino Thomas actively participated in the handball team, competing at junior and sub-junior levels. He served as the team captain and represented Thrissur at district and state levels in handball competitions. Tovino actively collaborates with former team members to promote and enhance handball in Kerala. He is the ambassador of the Kerala Handball Association.
Don Bosco Seniors Handball Team reunited to play against the school team alongside Coach Giby V. Pereppadan
- Tovino Thomas actively participated in rescue and rehabilitation efforts during the 2018 Kerala floods.
Tovino Thomas during the volunteering during the 2018 Kerala floods
- In 2021, he was appointed as the ambassador of Samoohika Sannadhasena, a community volunteer program initiated by the Government of Kerala. This program aims to address natural disasters by training volunteers and offering assistance to the public during crises. Chief Minister of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayan, praised Tovino’s active participation in flood relief efforts, expressing that his involvement would inspire the youth to engage in the community volunteer program.
- In 2021, Tovino Thomas was granted a golden visa by the Government of UAE.
- In his leisure time, he likes travelling to distant places, paragliding, reading books, and cycling.
Tovino Thomas while cycling
- Tovino Thomas is a fitness enthusiast and does physical exercises regularly. He often shares pictures and videos of his workout sessions on social media.
Tovino Thomas while working out at a gym
- Tovino Thomas is a compassionate animal lover. He has many pet dogs and birds. He often shares pictures of his pets on social media.
Tovino Thomas with his pet dog
Tovino Thomas posing with his pet birds
- He is often spotted smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages on various occasions.
Tovino Thomas while smoking a cigarette and drinking an alcoholic beverage
- Once, in a media conversation, Tovino Thomas shared how college vacations contributed to his acting career. He said,
During every vacation, I experimented with my looks. Sometimes, I would try to gain weight or work out to burn extra calories. At other times, I would crop my hair or try different designs on my beard. By the time, I returned from college, I would ensure that I had a shower compliments from my friends.”