Ken Ferns is an Indian fashion designer, who has been working as a fashion stylist for the contestants of various Hindi TV shows such as ‘Bigg Boss,’ ‘Nach Baliye,’ and ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa.’
Ken Fernandes was born on 8 October in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Libra. He did his schooling at St. Thomas Academy, Mumbai.
Ken Ferns’ childhood picture with his brother
He then did courses in fashion design at the National Institute of Fashion Technology and CEPZ Institute of Fashion Technology in Mumbai. Thereafter, he did a course in arts at St. Xaviers College, Mumbai.
Ken Ferns during his college days
Later, he attended Wigan & Leigh (now WLC College) in Mumbai to pursue a course in fashion design. He went on to study at L. S. Raheja College of Arts & Commerce, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Martino Custodio Fernandes (deceased). He has an elder brother.
Ken Ferns’ father
Ken Ferns with his mother
Ken Ferns’ elder brother and grandmother
At the age of 21, he started working as a lecturer at SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai. Later, he worked as a lecturer at the National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai. He was invited as a guest lecturer at various fashion institutes in India. Ken then started working as a costume designer at BBC Worldwide. In 2010, he launched his clothing line ‘Ken Ferns’ at the India Resort Fashion Week, Goa. In 2012, he worked as a costume designer for the Hindi reality TV shows ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ (aired on Colors) and ‘Nach Baliye’ (aired on Star Plus).
Ken Ferns with Salman Khan in Bigg Boss
Since 2013, he has been working as a wardrobe stylist with the Colors reality TV show ‘Bigg Boss,’ which aired on Colors. His clothing collection has been showcased in more than eight seasons of Lakmé Fashion Week, India. Some of the other popular fashion shows where his clothing collections were displayed include India Luxury Style Week in Bangalore, India Runway Week in Delhi, and North Eastern Fashion Week in Guwahati.
Ken Ferns displaying his clothing collection in a fashion show
Ken has styled many Indian celebrities like Ayushmann Khurrana, Terence Lewis, Tamannaah Bhatia, Arjun Kapoor, and Gauhar Khan. He has worked as a costume and wardrobe designer at the Bollywood Theme Park, Dubai. He has also designed the wardrobe for the Amazon Prime Video’s show ‘The Remix.’ Ken has worked with the video gaming company “Ubisoft” Paris for the video game Just Dance. Ken has also created a clothing range ‘Love Laugh Live’ for the TV channel Romedy Now. For his clothing line, he has collaborated with the landmark group Splash Fashion with the name ‘Ken Ferns For Splash.’ Ken has worked as a stylist for the Hindi films ‘Rok Sako To Rok Lo’ (2004) and ‘Yeh Mera India’ (2008). He has also worked as a costume designer for the Hindi music videos “Birthday Pawri” (2021) by Meet Bros. and “Buhe Bariyan” (2022) by Kanika Kapoor.
- 2014: Asian Top Fashion Designer of the Year by Fashion Asia, China
Ken Ferns with his award
- 2015: International Award for the top 5 designers in Asia by Fashion Asia Awards
- 2019: Indian Television Academy Award for the Best Costume Designer for the TV show Nach Baliye season 9
Ken Ferns holding his award
- International Fashion Designers: Hubert de Givenchy, D&G, Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen, Jean Paul Gaultier, Issey Miyake
- Ken’s family and friends lovingly call him Kenu.
- While he was studying in school, his favourite subject was drawing. He used to make sketches and caricatures with different looks.
- In childhood, he used to borrow his cousin’s dolls and redress them. From there, he developed an interest in fashion design.
- At the beginning of his career, he worked as a sales boy and sold vegetable slicers at various exhibition centres and shops. He has also worked as a dancer and choreographer at a few events.
- He is fluent in various languages such as Hindi, English, and Spanish.
- He has got many tattoos inked on his body. He has a tattoo of a paw and the word ‘Vincere’ inked on his right arm. On his shoulders, he has got a star tattoo inked. He has a big wings tattoo on his chest, and a tattoo on his right bicep.
Ken Ferns’s tattoos
Ken Ferns’s tattoo on his right arm
Ken Ferns’ tattoo on his right bicep
- Ken is an avid animal lover and has two pet dogs named Orko and Zoe.
Ken Ferns with his pet dogs
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol and smoking hukkas at various parties and events.
Ken Ferns smoking
- Ken Ferns follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- He has organised various online internship programs for fashion design students.
Ken Ferns’ internship program
- Ken owns an SUV Creta car.
Ken Ferns with his SUV Creta
- In his leisure time, he loves travelling and doing adventure sports.
Ken Ferns during his vacation
- In 2018, he was invited as a guest speaker at TEDx Talks, Delhi.
Ken Ferns at TEDx Talks
- In 2023, he appeared in the reality TV show Bigg Boss for an episode.
Ken Ferns in Bigg Boss (2022)
- Ken was one of the best friends of the Indian actor Sidharth Shukla. In an interview, while talking about Sidharth Shukla, he shared that he was very possessive about his friends. While sharing an incident, Ken said,
In 2020, we went to Goa for a shoot. We were travelling for the first time after the pandemic, and I was keen to party. I am Goan, and I have many friends there. I remember post work Sidharth and I partied a lot, and then I left the place to party with my other friends. The next day, I saw that Sidharth was not talking to me. When he spoke, he was very rude. I really did not understand why would he behave like that. I tried asking but got rude rebuffs n number of times. Later, he asked me to come to the balcony. You won’t believe it, Sidharth was upset as I had partied with other people leaving him alone. I just could not believe him.”