Vedant Patel is an Indian-American government official who was appointed as the Interim Spokesperson for the US Department of State after Ned Price stepped down from his post as the US State Department Spokesman on 8 March 2023.
Vedant R. Patel was born in 1989 (age 33 years; as of 2022) in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. His hometown is Bhavpura in Kadi Taluka, Gujarat. In 1991, when he was two years old, his parents shifted to San Jose, California in the United States from India. In 2008, he attended the University of California in Riverside to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Biology. In 2015, Vedant enrolled himself at the University of Florida – Warrington College of Business in the United States, where he pursued Masters of Business Administartion (MBA).
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Vedant Patel belongs to a Gujarati family.
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about Vedant’s parents or siblings.
A childhood picture of Vedant Patel with his parents
Wife & Children
On 23 March 2019, Vedant got married to Sneha M. Polisetti.
Vedant Patel and Sneha M. Polisetti’s wedding photo
After completimng his bachelors from the University of California, in December 2012, Vedant was appointed as the deputy communications director to the American politician Mike Honda at the U.S. House of Representatives. In November 2015, he was promoted to the post of communications director, and he served the post till January 2017. In April 2017, Vedant joined the Democratic National Committee as the regional press secretary; he served in the capacity till August 2018. From August 2018 to April 2019, Vedant served as the communications director to the American politician Pramila Jayapal. In April 2019, Vedant was appointed as the primary states communications director for Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential campaign. In February 2020, he held the post of regional communications director for the campaign. On 18 December 2020, President Joe Biden appointed Vedant as the assistant personal secretary to the politician Pramila Jayapal. In the same month, Vedant joined as the senior spokesperson for the 59th Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC); he served the post till Janaury 2021. Vedant was appointed as the sssistant press secretary for the 46th US President Joe Biden in The White House in January 2021. He served in the capacity till June 2022. After serving as a sssistant press secretary for 17 months, Vedant rose to the post of principal deputy spokesperson at the U.S. Department of State.
- Vedant is fluent in a few languages like Spanish, Gujarati, and English.
- In an interview, Vedant stated that one of his favourite food is Gujarati street food.
- In 2016, Vedant shifted from California to Washington D.C.
- Vedant became the third Indian-American to hold a position in the White House Communications and Press Department after he was appointed as the Assistant Press Secretary in January 2021. Priya Singh was the first Indian-American who held the post of press assistant from January 2009 to May 2010 in the White House Press and Communication wing. Raj Shah became the second Indian-American who served as the deputy press secretary and deputy assistant to the US President Donald Trump from 2017 to 2019.
- In September 2022, Vedant Patel became the first Indian-American to hold a daily State Department news conference at the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the department after the spokesperson of the State Department Ned Price was on vacation. Matt Hill, the senior associate communications director of the White House took to Twitter and talked about Vedant’s debut in holding a press briefing for the department and said,
Representing the United States on the world stage is a huge responsibility, and Vedant did it with the utmost professionalism and clear communication.”
Vedant Patel while hosting his first daily press briefing at the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the US State Department